Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Coffee or Tea for Two

This is a cute little project that I came up with last night.  It  Game Boarduses Stampin’ Up!’s beautiful Designer fabric and images along with some items that you may have around your house – bottle caps.  My bottle caps were newly acquired, but this project is perfect if you want to repurpose some of those that you may have collected and saved. I had been collecting these little pieces of “canvas” or bottle caps, for a long time and when we moved I finally decided that they would end up in the recycling bin.  *sigh*  But, as luck would have it, a friend sent me these bottle cap beauties to play with!

Packaged  Game SetThis little set includes a fabric tic tac toe game board that  doubles as a little storage bag to hold the game pieces.  One of the game pieces also doubles as the bag tie to keep the pieces inside.  I punched a small hole using a handheld punch and inserted some linen thread through the bottle cap.  The piece comes off completely and can be used as the final piece when playing. 

If you want to make your own little game board, cut nine 2-1/2” x 2-1/2” squares of coordinating fabric (5 squares in one of the colors and 4 in the other).  All seams are 1/4”.  The back of my game board is a 6-1/2 square of muslin, but you could use one of your coordinating fabrics.  I figured the muslin would show my name and copyright stamp easier! (see pages 144-145 of the current catalog for these customized stamps)   If I was more awake when I was making the bag, I would have made a drawstring tie, but I just tied the linen thread with the attached bottle cap to keep the game pieces inside. Easy Peasy!

Game Pieces You’ll need nine bottle caps for this game set. The 1” punch fits PERFECTLY on the bottle cap.  Decide on two different images.  For me this was the hardest part, choosing which stamps to use.  Stamp 5 of one image and 4 of the other.  That made me super happy!  **happy dance** Snail Adhesive worked great to keep the paper attached to bottle cap.  This may work differently based on how much humidity you have where you live so test out some of the other Stampin’ Up! adhesives if you are not getting the same results. I placed the self-adhesive covers on top of the watercolored images and I was done.

I really thought this project would be great for a party favor maybe at a Tea or a Shower.  But honestly it would be great as an anytime sugarless gift for a teacher, neighbor friend or loved one!  Don’t you think this would be a fun sugarless Halloween treat with spiders and bugs? Great for travel too!

More than Tic Tac Toe: As I was playing around with this set, I also came to think about another game to play similar to horseshoes.  Bounce the bottle cap on the table and try to get it on one of the squares. **Any of you that thought of “quarters” get back on track.  This is a family game! ** Get two points for getting it to touch the center square or one point on any of the other squares.  Be creative and come up with other games to play with the pieces available. Make sure to include instructions for the recipient!

Stamps:   Morning Cup
Papers:  Very Vanilla 
Ink: Jet Black Stazon, Rose Red, Baja Breeze, River Rock
Accessories: Linen Thread, Bottle Caps with Self-Adhesive Covers, Springtime Vintage Designer Fabric, Muslin 
Tools: 1” Circle Punch, 1/16” Handheld Punch, Blender Pens, Snail Adhesive, Sewing Machine
Techniques Used:  Water Coloring

Enjoy!

Need Stampin' UP! Supples?  Contact me today!

 

 

Sale-a-bration is underway!  Order your Stampin’ UP! products now and earn free products.  Call or email me now with any questions or to place your order.

No comments:

Post a Comment